Dental implantology represents the set of surgical techniques designed to rehabilitate a state of the patient affected by total or partial edentulism with the use of dental implants.
What is a dental implant
A dental implant is a small titanium screw designed to replace the root of a missing natural tooth. Dental implants are placed into the bone where was the natural tooth. Compared to the fixed prosthesis on natural teeth, the implant offers many advantages. First of all, the implant stimulates bone growth and in this way we can avvoid the loss of supporting tissues. .
The implant compensates completely the lost tooth, allows optimal chewing and an excellent aesthetic result. Finally it allows the preservation of the surrounding teeth: to place an implant there is no need to file other teeth to compensate the lost tooth.
Materials we use
The most common material used in implantology is titanium because of it’s purity and the possibility to integrate into the bone without causing an infection or a reaction. Therefore, it is very important to obtain the maximum level of the sterility during the whole process in order to avoid the rejection of the implant.
Applied research studies have shown that titanium, especially if of a fourth degree, reveals high biocompatibility with the organism, and consequently with bone integration.
Who needs dental implants?
Dental implants are often the best treatment for all the problems caused by the missing teeth, such as problems with chewing or even pronouncing words. Another important thing we should consider is the aesthetic aspect which is very important in everyday life of a person.
In case a patient has chosen an option which includes a removable denture, but for varies motives can’t stand the foreign material in the mouth, or it’s searching an option which will give him more confidence and a natural smile, then the implants are the perfect way to fix all these problems. A dental implant feels, fits and functions like a natural tooth.
One of the conditions which need to be fulfilled in order to be able to put the implants is the structure of the jaw bone. In fact, the main problem caused by the missing teeth is damaged bone.
- There needs to be enough bone mass with the right amount of tissue.
- The patient should not have health problems which could interfere with the healing process, such as diabetes or illness that has to be treated with chemotherapy.
In case there is no enough healthy bone which supports dental implants, we can use several techniques to regenerate the bone, restore the natural jaw line and provide a strong foundation for implants. We can use bone grafting, a successful procedure that involves “building up” or adding bone to the jaw by using patients natural bone or synthetic bone materials. After the procedure we need to wait at least 4 to 9 months to proceed with the application of the implants.
When it is possible to put a plant
- When the bone has sufficient volume and hardness.
- If there are no health problems that could put the scarring at risk, for example in the case of diabetes or chemotherapy in progress.
Who can put an implant?
- Basically every patient with the missing tooth. However, every case is different and it is important to follow the instructions and advice of a professional dentist which will determine the best treatment plan.
- The age is not a factor which should be considered but it is not recommended for the adolescents because the structure of the bone should be completely formed for this procedure.
- The implant is not indicated in the case of adolescents, it is necessary to wait for the bone development to be complete.
Contraidications are rare, such as the risk of infections. It is highly recommended not to smoke during the whole process of the placement of the implants. Thanks to the newest high technology and diagnosis, today we can make measurements whith precision, how high, how large and wide is the bone mass, the form and the connections between the implant and the prosthetics.The most important thing before the surgery is to evaluate the number and the sort of implants that sholud be placed.
Selected companies for implantology
Straumann is a Swiss company from Basel. It is a leading company in the field of dental implantology and has been on the market for over 60 years. Straumann implants are chosen by doctors all over the world and have a guarantee for life.
- More than 14 million implants installed worldwide.
- Precision and quality “Made in Switzerland”.
- A trusted brand in more than 70 countries.
- Unique implant surface for improved predictability and reduced healing time.
- Excellent material for less invasive treatment.
- Lifetime warranty for all installations.
Nobel Biocare is one of the world’s leading companies in the design, manufacture and marketing of products for implantology, prosthetic and aesthetic dental solutions. It is a Swiss company, with branch in Zurich. The Nobel implant was designed specifically for narrow spaces, such as those of the lower front teeth, where traditional implants could not be placed. Whether you work on soft bone, extractive alveoli, or aesthetic regions, you can benefit from its high stability: immediate implant placement and immediate functionality make Nobel the right choice for difficult and complicated cases.
The Nobel implant has a lifetime warranty and is distinguished by the unique TiUnite oxidized surface which enables fast bone formation and maintains high stability even during the healing process.
- For the placement of the implants in limited spaces.
- Designed for excellent aesthetic results.
- Ensures a natural appearance.
- You get a high stability even in problematic situations.
- Lifetime warranty for all installations.